Chocolate Chiffon Pie with Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 envelope (1 tablespoon) gelatin
- ¼ cup cold water
- 2 ounces high quality dark or bittersweet chocolate
- 1 cup milk
- 3 eggs separated
- 3/4 cup sugar
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla
- 2 ounces shaved dark chocolate for garnish
- Soften gelatin in cold water.
- In small saucepan melt chocolate in milk. Add gelatin water and stir until dissolved.
- In a separate bowl, beat three egg whites until thick and creamy then gradually beat in ½ sugar and salt.
- Add hot chocolate mixture stirring well to blend.
- Chill until mixture begins to thicken, about 25 minutes. In another bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry then gradually beat in ¼ cup sugar. Fold egg whites carefully and gently into the chocolate mixture.
- In a cold dry bowl, whip the heavy cream with the vanilla and fold that into the chocolate mixture, too and then turn into the whole fluffy mix into the pre-baked pie shell and chill until firm, about five hours.
- Drizzle with caramel sauce after plating and top with shaved dark chocolate.