Dairy Free Chocolate - Orange Cookies
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- zest of one large orange
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (white is also fine)
- juice of half a lemon
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients: almond meal, flour, salt, and baking powder. In a smaller bowl, mix together the almond milk, lemon juice, vinegar, orange zest, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and coconut oil.
- Add the liquids to the dry ingredients, stirring until well-combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least an hour.
- Once chilled, make small balls of dough and place them onto an aluminum-foil or parchment-paper-lined baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 7-10 minutes.
My friend is visiting for the holidays! She’s staying for four nights, and we are planning on doing so many things: going to an art museum, making mulled wine at my friend Martin’s place, watching one of those touching holiday movies, volunteering to serve food somewhere, getting drunk at an Arkansas-themed bar, and trying to recreate one Madrid summer we spent together by dancing passionately to old songs in an 80s-themed Brooklyn club.
It should go without saying that we will also be eating ourselves into a near comatose state. This is never, of course, the goal, but…’tis the season! Part of the whole holidays-family-friends affair is consuming delicious things together. Especially encouraged is making those delicious things by hand.
My friend is vegan, and she loves chocolate and cookies and oranges. I am not vegan, and I love chocolate and cookies and oranges, so we decided to make vegan chocolate-orange cookies. These have a really nice sweet-and-salty factor. The citrus juice and zest frame the chocolate well. The almond and vanilla in the recipe are perfect together. And I get to pretend that these cookies are somehow healthier to consume because they have the word “vegan” in the title. Everybody wins!