Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup roughly chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cups chopped cremini mushrooms
- 3 cups chopped white mushrooms
- 4 cups of water
- black pepper freshly grounded
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In a large pot heat the olive oil and add the chopped onions. Let them cook for five to seven minutes, when translucent, add the garlic.
- Let the onion and garlic brown, but be careful not to burn them.
- Add the salt, move the aromatics for two to three minutes more. Add the chopped cremini mushrooms and the white mushrooms. Let them cook for five to seven minutes or until reduced in size.
- Add the four cups of water, cover and let it simmer for ten minutes at low-medium heat.
- Pour the mushrooms and liquid into a blender container and blend. Be extra careful as the soup would be very hot. Blend until smooth. Return to the pot, add some freshly ground black pepper and the lemon juice. Mix and check for seasoning, adjust if necessary.
- Serve immediately and top with sautéd mushrooms, fresh thymes or corn tortilla chips.
Canned cream of mushroom soup was one of my favorite meals growing up. The cream in the broth and the chunks of mushrooms were flavors I really craved. Unfortunately , this is not one of the healthiest meals, and now that I’m a mom, it’s not a meal I feel comfortable feeding my family. It is food that has been highly processed. Starting by the fact that it is not freshly made and it is supposed to have a very long shelf life. It is full of additives and has very high levels of fats and sodium. I like to have control of what I prepare at home and know the story behind each ingredient—where it comes from, what properties it has and, ideally, who harvested it.
I made this soup with cremini and white mushrooms, but feel free to use others or just one type the recipe calls for. The important part of this recipe is how all the flavors come together. The earthy, meaty flavors of the mushrooms is highlighted by the garlic and onion. The thyme and lemon juice bring an unexpected brightness to each bite. And the best part of this soup is that it is healthy: you control the fats and sodium, and it is super easy to prepare.
Cream of Mushroom Soup