Hot Buttered Rum
- 3/4 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (8 Tbs.) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups high-quality dark rum, we might suggest Gosling's
- Whipped heavy cream for garnish
- In a small bowl, mash the sugar, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and allspice with a fork until well combined. The spiced butter can be made ahead and refrigerated for up to 3 weeks.
- Bring the butter to room temperature before using.
- Bring a kettle of water to a boil; you'll need 1/2 cup of water for each drink.
- Fill mugs or heatproof glasses with hot tap water to warm them.
- Once the water in the kettle boils, empty the warm mugs and fill each with 1/2 cup boiling water and 1/4 cup rum.
- Stir a generous tablespoon of the spiced butter into each mug until melted.
- Garnish with a small dollop of whipped cream.
Dark brown sugar and a dollop of whipped cream give this Hot Buttered Rum a deep, rich flavor. The trick to this recipe is to use the best-quality rum you can find. The spiced butter is also delicious spread onto fresh, crusty bread.
Recipe Credit Allison Ehri Kreitler with FineCooking.com