Chili-Mango Summer Smoothie
- 1 cup frozen diced mango
- juice of 1 lime
- ⅔ cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed (possibly 3 depending on the sweetness of the mango you use and how much of a sugar fiend you are; taste as you go)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- a couple grinds of sea salt
- Recipe yields: 1 smoothie
- Wash lime and juice it into a small bowl, removing seeds before pouring into blender. Add brown sugar, honey, chili powder, vanilla extract, sea salt, and coconut milk. Blend until combined. Add in frozen mango and blend until smooth.
- A note about the coconut milk: I use full fat. If you want something lighter, feel free to experiment with mixing coconut milk and almond milk, or coconut milk and Greek yogurt. I've made this smoothie with half the amount of coconut milk and I really like that ratio as well, though having less of a neutral base gives the other ingredients a pucker-inducing sharpness. Try out the recipe with just ⅓ cup of coconut milk, leaving the other ingredient amounts unchanged; if it's too strong, you can always add in the other ⅓ cup.
- I'm curious to know what everyone's favorite coconut milk amount is (or if you've tried it with yogurt or almond milk variations) and what this recipe is like using fresh mango. Give it a whirl and tweet at me with the results!
I first tried the chili-with-mango combination in the form of a sucker. Someone brought a bag of them to school, and I thought it was very strange candy.
I forgot about it until my best college friend started dating a guy from Mexico and went to live with his family in Guadalajara for a few years. She started combining fresh produce and a seasoned salt, Tajín. She sprinkled it on everything—pineapple, cucumber, cantaloupe, jicama, mango.
Maybe that’s what got me to revisit the idea. I sliced up mango and dusted it with chili powder and a bit of salt for snacking, and liked it.
This smoothie is sort of a remix with extra pizzazz. For extra sipping style, take an empty, transparent glass and dip the rim into a bowl of lime juice. Coat the rim by dipping it into a mixture of chili powder and brown sugar (use your fingers to combine the mixture evenly beforehand). Pour in the contents of the recipe below, then garnish with a drizzle of honey, some red pepper flakes, and a slice of lime.
This smoothie would be great as a mid-morning snack after breakfast; I suspect it would also be perfect with tequila. Then again, what isn’t?