- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion, cubed
- half of a green and/or red bell pepper, cubed
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 2 cubes of chicken bouillon (caldo de pollo)
- 1 pack of sazon (culantro y achiote)
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon adobo
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups kabocha pumpkin, cut in cubes 1 inch thick, divided
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 3 cups rice
- In a large cast-iron pot, heat oil over medium heat. Saute onion, pepper, garlic, cilantro, tomato sauce, chicken bouillon cubes, sazon, oregano, adobo, and black pepper for about 2-3 minutes until vegetables begin to release aroma.
- Stir in ½ cup pumpkin.
- Add water. When the water begins to boil, add the rice, stirring occasionally to avoid from sticking to the bottom of the pot.