Quick Quinoa Salad with Avocado, Shrimp, & Mango
Ever had one of those impromptu Friday night shindigs that you didn’t know was happening until a few hours before? Those are, no doubt, some of the best get-togethers that ever happen. Spontaneity is the spice of life in friendship and romantic relationships!
It can, however, also be stressful. You had no idea you would be feeding so many mouths tonight; what will you feed them? You want something filled with flavor and color. Something healthy and fresh. Something that seems kind of fancy.
This quinoa salad with avocado, shrimp, and mango is just that. Toasting the quinoa ahead of time in a little peanut oil adds another depth to the salad. We promise this dish will be a hit!
- 2 pounds pre-cooked, frozen shrimp, tails and veins removed
- 2 avocados, diced
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- large handful of cilantro, chopped
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups water or broth
- ¼ cup olive oil
- peanut oil
- cayenne pepper
- ground ginger
- ground red pepper flakes
- Sriracha and/or chili garlic Cholula
- Rinse quinoa. Drizzle some peanut oil in a pot that will hold a few cups of cooked quinoa, and heat rinsed quinoa over medium-high heat, until water has dissolved and there's a nutty smell—about one minute. Stir in two cups of water or broth and about a teaspoon of salt and bring to a rolling boil. Once boiling, turn heat to low and cover. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- While the quinoa cooks, turn on your favorite YouTube playlist and peel the shrimp!
- Remove quinoa from the heat, and then let stand, still covered, for another five minutes. In a small bowl, juice two limes, then add in ¼ cup olive oil and cayenne pepper, ground ginger, and ground red pepper flakes to taste; stir until combined, then add to the quinoa, along with shrimp. Toss together and move to the refrigerator.
- On a cutting board, dice the avocado, red onion, and mango, and chop the cilantro. Toss into the pot with the shrimp and quinoa, then return to chill in the refrigerator until guests arrive. Serve drizzled with Sriracha, chili garlic Cholula, or both. Also white wine. Lots of white wine.