Roasted Eggplant Tacos
Cook25 - 30 minutes
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 package corn tortillas (containing at least 10 tortillas)
- 3 avocados
- 1 container crumbled goat cheese (containing at least ½ C plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 small bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, quartered
- turmeric to taste
- cinnamon to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- freshly ground red pepper flakes to taste
- sea salt - pinch
- Clean eggplant by wiping it down with a paper towel dipped in white vinegar and then rinsing it with water. Slice into medallions about as thick as your finger.
- Lay medallions on a large plate or cutting board.
- Sprinkle salt over one side and let sit for 15 minutes.
- While you wait, preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large shallow bowl, mix together one tablespoon coconut oil (if it’s too solid, you may need to make it more pliable by microwaving it for about 10 seconds) and two tablespoons honey.
- After the 15 minutes is up, blot accumulated moisture from eggplant with a paper towel. (Don’t worry about trying to wipe all the salt off.)
- Use your hands to toss medallions a few at a time in the honey-coconut oil mixture; transfer coated medallions onto a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil.Massage any excess honey-coconut oil mixture into the medallions.
- Grind black pepper and red pepper flakes over the medallions.
- Sprinkle with turmeric and cinnamon and put into the oven for between 25 and 30 minutes, checking after 25 minutes.
- While the eggplant is roasting, prepare the fixings—dice the onion, clean and chop cilantro, wash and quarter limes, and half avocados before quartering lengthwise.
- When ready, eggplant will be very tender and fragrant.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Heat the corn tortillas individually on a skillet. (I heat my tortillas up dry, on low heat, and only until there are light brown spots, but everyone is different.)
- Assemble a taco: slice a medallion into four pieces and place on corn tortilla.
- Top with a tablespoon of crumbled goat cheese, diced onion, chopped cilantro, and ¼ an avocado.
- Sprinkle with cayenne pepper or smoked paprika.
- Make a taco twin to complete the serving, and send the duo off with a lime wedge. Salsa and hummus are tasty add-ons. Another delicious topper would be Make-Ahead Mole Beans.
Don’t forget to squeeze the lime over both before devouring!