Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup of sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoonsOuter Banks Sea Salt
Have everything ready before you put the pan on the stove. This recipe progresses quickly.
- Using a 3-quart saucepan, heat sugar on moderately high heat.
- As the sugar begins to melt, stir constantly.
- As soon as the sugar comes to a boil, stop stirring.
- As soon as all of the sugar crystals have melted, immediately add the butter to the pan.
- Whisk until the butter has melted.
- Once the butter has melted, take the pan off the heat.
- Wait a few seconds, then slowly add the cream to the pan and continue to whisk to incorporate. When you add the butter and the cream, the mixture will foam up considerably. This is why you started with a three quart pan.
- Whisk until caramel sauce is smooth. Cool, then stir in sea salt, pour into a glass container and store in the refrigerator for up to two months.