When it comes to pitching HipLatina.com, we have some clear ideas about what works and what doesn’t and what is going to drive traffic and help us grow. We’ll work with all of you to help develop new pitches and ideas that we think will get us where we need to go! Here are some things to think about before submitting your next round of pitches while also keeping in mind our target audience:
Has this been written about before? If so, what am I contributing to this conversation?
Everything that is pitched to us should be original content. Research your pitches before sending them our way to make sure you are covering it from a new angle if it’s a topic that has been written about before. Please also search our site to see if we’ve already covered it.
Think about the news and trends. Pitches tied to relevant and timely topics tend to do better, even if it’s evergreen content. Always keep our mission and target readers in mind!
Before each pitch, ask yourself: “Is this a thoughtful, engaging perspective that empowers, inspires, or entertains Latinas? Why would someone click to read this vs. everything else competing for their attention on the Internet? When pitching breaking news, keep in mind our audience and the unique reporting angle we can provide versus just reporting what other pubs have already covered.
Rates: $50 – $150 with a potential for more if it requires extensive reporting
- An average trending article should clock in between 400-600 words.
- Features/Essays should be between 1000-1500 words.
- Each item in a listicle needs at least 75 words. Intros should be at bare minimum 100-150 words but try to hit 300 words.
Pitching Dos and Don’ts:
- Pitch relevant and timely content that would resonate with our readers
- Tell us why this story works for HipLatina
- Pitch a story you can write and provide a unique angle on
- Make sure you can write the story in a timely manner before pitching
- Provide work samples and why YOU’RE the person to write this story
- Don’t pitch a trending story unless you can provide a unique angle
- Don’t pitch something we’ve already covered
- Refer to our email format (below) before sending your pitch
- Don’t submit completed work – this is PITCHES ONLY
Subject: Suggested Headline
Pitch that includes sources, if applicable, WHY it’s a good fit for HipLatina, the format (essay, feature, news article etc) and when you expect to be able to submit it.
Please also include a little bit about your writing experience and why you want to write this.
Send pitches to [email protected]