These mouthwatering burgers boast a spicy and smoky flavor. The poblano pepper is a large green pepper usually found near the jalapeño peppers in the produce aisle. Once cooked it has a tender, mild flavor but not very spicy. Find the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce in a small can near the Hispanic aisle. If you don’t like hot flavors, just omit the chipotle peppers and give it a try with the poblano pepper.
For a gluten-free dinner, use gluten-free buns.
Note: Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
- 2 POBLANO CHILES ROASTED, CHARRED, SEEDED AND DEVEINED
- 1 POUND LEAN GROUND BEEF
- 4 CLOVES GARLIC MINCED
- ¼ CUP ONIONS MINCED
- 1 LIME CUT INTO WEDGES, DIVIDED
- 4 HAMBURGER BUNS OR GLUTEN-FREE BUNS
- 4 SLICES LETTUCE
- 4 SLICES TOMATO
- 1 TO 3 CANNED CHIPOTLE PEPPERS MINCED (OR MORE DEPENDING ON YOUR TASTE)
- SALT AND PEPPER AS DESIRED
- 1 RIPE, FRESH HASS AVOCADO HALVED, PITTED, PEELED, AND MASHED
- Preheat the grill. Roast the poblano chiles on the hot grill for 8 to 10 minutes, turning them on all sides until charred. Remove from heat, place in a bowl and cover the bowl with a plate for 5 minutes. Mash avocado and pour ½ of a lime juice. Combine poblano chile with mashed avocado. Warm hamburger bun on the grill. Squeeze lime on hamburger patties once cooked. Layer the bottom hamburger bun with 1 lettuce and tomato slice, top with cooked hamburger patty, then the avocado topper and end with the top bun. Serve with lime wedges
- Mix ground beef with chipotle chile, garlic, onion and season with salt and pepper as desired. Divide the meat into four patties. Reserve.
- Grill hamburger patties until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees.
- Meanwhile, carefully peel off the charred skin of the poblano chiles and discard seeds and stem. An easier way to clean is to hold the stem, and scrape charred skin with a butter knife. Avoid running the chile under running water because it will lose some of the flavor. Keep aside and cut poblano chile in strips lengthwise.