This recipe was originally seen on Hispanic Kitchen.
It would be easy to give all the credit to the chorizo in these epic breakfast burritos. But I think it’s the salsa that really amps them up. If you’ve never combined eggs and a tomatillo-based salsa before, then you’re in for a treat!
- For the Filling 1/4 ONION
- 1 JALAPEÑO PEPPER
- 8 EGGS
- 4 FLOUR TORTILLAS
- CHEESE (MONTEREY JACK OR MOZZARELLA)
- 1/2 POUND CHORIZO (OR STANDARD SAUSAGE)
- For the Potatoes 1 POTATO
- 1 TEASPOON CHILI POWDER
- BLACK PEPPER
- OLIVE OIL
- For the Tomatillo-Chipotle Salsa 4 TOMATILLOS
- 2 GARLIC CLOVES
- 2 CHIPOTLES IN ADOBO
- Dice a potato and toss with salt, pepper, a dollop of oil, and 1 teaspoon chili powder. Bake diced potatoes in oven at 400ºF for 20-25 minutes, giving them a toss after 15 minutes or so.
- Husk and rinse the tomatillos. Roast the tomatillos in the oven at 400ºF for 10-15 minutes or until they start to turn army green. De-stem and de-seed two chipotles in adobo. Add the tomatillos, 2 peeled garlic cloves, and a single chipotle to a blender and pulse blend. Take a taste for heat level. If you want more heat add the second chipotle. If you want a thinner salsa, you can add 2-3 tablespoons of water.
- Sauté the chorizo in a skillet over medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side. Set aside when done.
- Finely chop 1/4 onion and 1 jalapeño pepper (use less jalapeño if you want a milder version). Saute onion and jalapeno in olive oil over medium-low heat for 4-6 minutes or until tender. Whisk together 8 eggs and add to onion-jalapeno mixture, cooking over medium-low heat. Set aside when done.
- To build the burritos, start by heating up a tortilla in a skillet for 30-60 seconds. Add the eggs, potatoes, chorizo, cheese, and salsa. Roll tight and saute in a dry skillet for 1-2 minutes on each side or until it crisps up and starts to turn brown. Serve immediately.
For speed, I usually add the potatoes, salt, pepper, chili powder and oil to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Shake vigorously for 10-15 seconds and the potatoes will be well coated.