Sponsored by Sargento® Foods
The holiday season isn’t complete without our beloved dishes making their appearance at the dinner table and nothing compares to the excitement we feel when all of the delicious aromas fill the air! But it isn’t just about food – it’s about tradition. For Ariana Ruiz, Latina mom and Mexican cuisine connoisseur, sharing her favorite Mexican recipes with her children encompasses the spirit of the season. Family is everything for Ariana, just like it is for the folks at Sargento. As a 3rd generation family-owned company, you can trust that Sargento’s dedication to high-quality products will bring authentic flavors to your table.
One of Ariana’s favorite dishes for the holidays are enchiladas rojas! Enchiladas are a staple across Mexican culture. No matter how you make them, everyone enjoys this savory and creamy dish drenched in the sauce of your choice! Whether you prefer red enchiladas or green enchiladas, Sargento is making it easier than ever to enjoy this traditional dish with their Creamery Shredded 3 Cheese Mexican Natural Cheese blend that delivers an amazing melt thanks to the simple addition of real cream! Once you see that creamy texture spread across the enchiladas, there’s no doubt your family members will be going in for seconds!
Ready to make this a holiday season your family won’t forget with Ariana’s Enchiladas Rojas? Check out the full recipe and step-by-step video below!
8 dried New Mexico red chiles
8 chiles guajillo
5 chiles arbol
1 tomato, whole
¼ onion, whole
1 garlic clove, whole
½ tsp. Mexican oregano
⅛ tsp. cumin
½ tsp. salt
2-3 cups chicken broth
Iceberg lettuce, sliced
Cilantro and crema (Mexican sour cream)
- Roast chiles, tomato and ¼ onion for a few minutes on each side
- Once toasted, remove stems from the chiles and add to a pot of boiling water.
- Allow the chiles to cook for about 10 minutes, then add to a blender with charred tomato, onion, garlic, spices and chicken broth.
- Blend for a few minutes or until smooth.
- Use a mesh strainer to pour mixture over a pan lightly coated with oil.
- Cook sauce in hot oil for a couple of minutes or until boiling to infuse the flavors together. Remove from heat and set to the side once finished.
- In a pan with a bit of oil, fry each tortilla for about 10 seconds each side, so they maintain pliability and don’t rip.
- Place each tortilla on a plate with paper towels to drain any excess oil.
- Dip tortilla into sauce and begin filling each one with some Sargento® Creamery Shredded 3 Cheese Mexican Natural Cheese. Roll up tightly and assemble on a nonstick glass baking pan.
- Once all tortillas have been filled and assembled, pour additional sauce over the enchiladas.
- Top enchiladas with more Sargento® Creamery Shredded 3 Cheese Mexican Natural Cheese for a perfectly melted dish!
- Pop into the oven for about 10 minutes or until the cheese on top starts bubbling.
- Garnish with shredded lettuce, tomato, cilantro, and red onion (as desired).
Check out the video below to watch Ariana prepare her Enchiladas Rojas just in time for the Holidays!