Starting on January 1, 2018, recreational marijuana will be legal in California. It can be confusing to know what is exactly is and isn’t allowed in the coming year, so we put together a handy primer, along with links to more information from experts in the field.
Here are some of the things you can and can’t do regarding marijuana in California:
- You can be in posession of recreational marijuana if you are at least 21 years of age
- Recreational marijuana is available to both residents and visitors
- You can have up to an ounce of marijuana, or 8 grams of marijuana concentrate, on you without incident
- You can’t smoke marijuna publicly
- You can grow marijuana, having up to six plants per household
- You can buy and sell through licensed dispensaries
- If you have a marijuana business, it can’t be within 600 feet of school. (For more cannabis business laws click here.)
- Police can’t use the smell of marijuana or the presence of it as a legal excuse to search or detain you.