Mother’s Day is a time to celebrate all mother figures and the special place they have in our hearts. From your favorite teacher to your closest homegirl, to your tia or abuelita, many women in our lives have “mothered” us and shown love and support when we needed it most. For Jose, a passionate home cook and social media chef, celebrating his comadre (mother of his Godchild) during Mother’s Day is a special way to honor his late mother’s legacy. Family means everything to Jose and that’s why he trusts Sargento, a third-generation family-owned company, for all his cheese needs!
For us, food is how we celebrate and show appreciation to our loved ones. Paying attention to these small details is something Jose learned from his mami; “Extra attention to detail shows people how much you love them.” Now, Jose keeps her memory alive by being intentional and placing extra attention to detail in everything he does.
Celebrate all mamás this Mother’s Day with an extra special Mexican-inspired Charcuterie Board made with Sargento® real, natural cheese. Check out the full recipe below!
100 grams of cured Salami
100 grams of Pepperoni
10 small, sweet peppers
½ cup of Black olives
½ cup of spicy Peanuts
1 jalapeño (rings, thinly sliced)
1 cup of avocado salsa
1 cup of salsa
Corn tortilla chips
Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Choose your board depending on your party size. You could use a wood or plastic board, as long as it has enough space to carefully arrange all your ingredients. No board? A square serving tray will also work!
- Start with the cheese. The cheese is the main ingredient and a fun way to get creative with your charcuterie board! Cut the sliced cheese into half circles and line up about 6-8 pieces depending on the size, roll them forming a rose shape. Make a few more “roses” with two different cheeses or cut them into cubes and triangle shapes for more variation.
- Then, place two small bowls on the board and serve the salsas.
- Next, add the meats. We recommend “stair stacking” the meats and sliced cheese for easy grabbing! Check out the video above for more visuals.
- Add sweet and savory ingredients. Cut the sweet peppers in half and arrange them on the open gaps of the board. Now add the radishes. Slice them in half and spread them out on the board. The tortilla chips can be lined up and stacked in different places on the board to accompany the salsas from Step 2. Lastly, add small bunches of peanuts and olives around the board to fill any empty space.
- Finally, garnish with cilantro leaves, keeping part of the stem for the aesthetic, and evenly distribute the jalapeño slices.
Quality ingredients make for great food– and no one does it better than Sargento, a third-generation family-owned company. If you liked Jose’s take on a traditional charcuterie board, check out his socials for more fun fusions!