- 1 tsp thread saffron
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- ½ cup of chopped flat parsley
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 8 piquillo peppers, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 free range organic chicken thighs, skinned and cut into
- 2 inch pieces, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 12 wild caught large shrimp, peeled
- 1 lb wild caught Halibut
- 1 lb venison chorizo or Spanish cooking sausage, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 8 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Spanish sea salt and pepper
- 2 cups Bomba
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 3 lemons cut into wedges
- Step 1 Add stock, paprika and saffron to a pot and heat, covered.
- Step 2 In a separate 15" paella pan, add 2 tbsp olive oil and brown the chicken pieces and chorizo, about 5 minutes. Remove. Add the remaining olive oil and cook the onions over medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the bell peppers and cook for a few minutes. Add the tomatoes and garlic and simmer for another 5 minutes, until they have a sauce-like appearance. Salt and pepper to taste.
- STEP 3 Pour in the rice and stir until the rice is covered with the tomato mixture (known as 'sofrito'). Add chicken and chorizo pieces. Slowly add all of the broth to the paella. Stir the rice mixture around until it is evenly distributed throughout the pan. Important - do not stir after this point.
- STEP 4 Simmer for about 10 minutes, add halibut, then place the shrimp into the mixture one-by-one, evenly distributing throughout. Simmer for another 15 minutes, or until all of the broth has been absorbed, adding extra liquid if necessary.
- STEP 5 Remove from heat, gently cover with foil and let sit for another 10 minutes. Garnish with piquillo pepper slices, lemon wedges and parsley.
Chef Susie has kicked up the traditional paella recipe with fresh wild game.
Learn how to peel parsley in seconds from Chef Susie Jimenez.
Included in the delicious recipe, we have included a quick and easy way to take parsley off the stem.