Cooking by the campfire in Moab.
What I love about cooking on our trips is that most our meals are easy, simple and healthy. If you missed my recent FB Live event I shared one of my favorite on-the-go healthy lunch wrap. The wrap included a tasty soy-ginger drizzle and leftover lean Elk steak meat from my favorite and simple camping meal.
As a chef, committed cross fitter, and wife of a bow-hunter, we are looking for low calorie, high protein meals. Luckily, Doug is an amazing bow-hunter and we have the good fortune of having a freezer full of delicious wild game. Since the meat is wild and of the highest natural quality, not much prep is needed. My favorite go-to camping meals are grilled Elk steaks seasoned with Garlic Pepper, halved onions, and a simple romaine salad. Next time you at the market ask your butcher if they have Elk. If they do, try it! The only risk for trying new foods is that you will love it!
Camping Grilled Elk Steak:
- Place steaks on paper plate or cutting board
- Use your fork to gently puncture both sides of the steak
- Sprinkle both sides with Garlic Pepper or your favorite seasoning
- Place on hibachi grill, cook for 5 to 6 minutes on each side for medium rare
- Once the meat is grilled to your preferred taste, remove from grill and allow to rest for 5 to 7 minutes to ensure optimal juiciness
Grilled Halved Onion
- Remove from skin
- Halve onion
- Coat with a drizzle of olive oil and desired seasoning
- Place on the grill for 5 to 7 minutes or desired tenderness
Enjoy your next meal by the campfire and go #FindYourAway!
Chef Susie, Doug, Gunnar, Axel, and baby Zeek!